Coming in October: Dr. Chris Alford and Dr. Teresa Gardner are leading a group to Israel and Jordan.
Pastor Chris is teaming up with Ancient-Future Faith Network friend and colleague Dr. Teresa Gardner for a legacy, once-in-a-lifetime pilgrimage to the Holy Land. Chris and Teresa will lead worship and teaching during our trip. Teresa is already known to many in the Epiclesis community for her visits to our church, her international dance ministry based in Charlotte, North Carolina, and her nearly 50 trips to Israel– a place she calls her second home. Along the way, we’ll have an expert and seasoned Israeli guide to make our trip complete.
Also along for the journey are two beloved ministry colleagues, Dr. Carl Peters and Dr. Rick Asche (right). They’ll be contributing to a unique trip devotional guide and will supplement our travels with their pastoral care and insights. Carl is the Senior Pastor of Anchor Baptist Church (Lexington, KY); Rick is the Pastor for Intergenerational Discipleship at Epiclesis (Sacramento, CA); and both are Board Members of the Ancient-Future Faith Network.
This trip includes TWO additional once-in-a-lifetime locations: The stunning fortress of Masada, PLUS a journey to the ancient carved city of stone, Petra (Jordan). (Not to mention the unique experience of sifting archaeological material from the Temple Mount!).
We will also see: the Dead Sea, Ein Gedi, Capernaum, Caesarea, the Mount of Beatitudes, Tiberias, Caesarea Philippi, Golan Heights, Mt. Carmel, all the major sites in Jerusalem, and the beautiful seaside city of Eilat.
Current ASAP Action Items for Tour Participants (as of 6/23):
- Please provide your TSA “Known Traveler Number” if you have one.
- Please provide your United Airlines frequent flier account number if you have one.
- Let us know if you want to reserve tickets for the Jerusalem Night Spectacular (Tower of David Light Show). This is not part of the official tour and would be extra ($15 per person). Folks would walk from the hotel (20 min) or take a taxi (at their expense).
- The laminated Bible Lands Resource guides have arrived (for those who reserved one). They are $5.75 each, plus an additional $1.65 if you want it mailed to you.
Questions? Please email Pastor Chris.
Important Trip-Related Document Downloads:
- Here’s the very latest trip brochure including flights, hotels, and itinerary (v.3.0 as of 6/22/18). PLEASE NOTE: The brochure is laid out for print-readiness and should be physically printed out, in color, 8.5 x 11, landscape, front and back, and then assembled for best viewing.
- Customized Daily Prayer and Devotional Guide (available in September).
- Two important downloads: Terms and Conditions. Registration Form.
Fun and Educational Audio-Visual Resources:
Please note: Items listed below are for general information and aren’t necessarily endorsed by Pastor Chris for their theological content or scriptural interpretation.
The main categories below are listed in alphabetical order:
- The discovery of a 1,500-year-old pool and fountain at the site of an ancient church near Jerusalem.
- Magdala, the Home Town of Mary Magdalene, Is Being Resurrected (includes an embedded video).
- Rare Coins found in Temple Mount Excavation (from the same sifting project we will be participating in).
- Interactive 360 degree Map of Petra (video/audio/photos/panoramas) from Google Maps. Stunning.
- Must-Have Resources for Bible Lands Study (recommended books, atlases, albums, DVDs, etc.).
- How to Prepare for a Trip to the Holy Land (practical, physical, mental, and spiritual preparation).
- The Egeria Project (Mediterranean and medieval places of pilgrimage).
- Travel Power Converter and Adapters.
- Charging an iPhone in Israel.
- How to Pack Linen Clothes.
- The Jerusalem Night Spectacular (Tower of David Light Show).
- More information about The Jerusalem Night Spectacular (Tower of David Light Show).
- Seal of King Hezekiah found in Jerusalem.
Bible References (.pdf files)
- Scripture references for Jerusalem.
- Scripture references for Jerusalem and surrounding area.
- Scripture references for the Galilee.
- Scripture references for the Jordan and the Dead Sea.
- Scripture references for the desert.
- Jerusalem Map.
Our Hotels (as of 6/22/18)
Maps (.pdf files)
Practical Video Tutorials
- 23 Travel Hacks (Airplane Tips) (13 min).
- 27 Packing Hacks- How to Pack Better! (7 min).
- How to Pack Your Suitcase Like a Pro! (19 min).
- 10 Travel Essentials for Women Over 60 (12 min).
- How to Pack 100 Items into a Carry-On (2 min).
- How to Pack 50 Outfits into One Tote Bag (2 min).
- Drive Thru History: Holy Land with Dave Stotts, Vol. 2: History of Israel in 8 Minutes
- Top 15 Best Places to Visit in Israel (Including the Dead Sea, Masada, Eilat, and numerous spots in Jerusalem) (18 min).
- Enjoy this 7 minute fly-over tour of the Holy Land.
- Drive Thru History: Holy Land with Dave Stotts, Vol. 1 (27 min).
- Things to Do in Israel: Best Places to Visit (4 min).
- Amazing Israel: A timelapse video featuring Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, The Dead Sea and Red Canyon (3 min).
- Israel: The Royal Tour: A Tour of Israel with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (58 min).
- Holy Land Tour: Jerusalem and the South (14 min).
- The Deep Mysteries and Dark Secrets of the Holy Land (1 hour 26 min).
- Jerusalem: Discover the Heart of the World (stunning IMAX film by Nat Geo narrated by Benedict Cumberbatch). A must see. Read a story about the film here. Rent or purchase it here (42 min).
- Great Tour of Jerusalem. “Travel Guide: Everything you need to know” (11 min).
- Jerusalem Booklet: Be Your Own Guide (4 min).
- Jerusalem Travel Guide: All You Need to Know (2018). (7 min).
- Jerusalem in 72 Hours (with a professional guide). (10 min).
- Interactive, 360-degree video experience of walking through the Old City of Jerusalem! This same thread of videos features many places we’ll be visiting. (Titled “Israel 360 Video English” produced by the Texas International Bible Institute) (3 min).
- Hezekiah’s Tunnel: Pilgrim Tours (5 min).
- News report of Seal of Hezekiah found in Jerusalem (3 min).
- The Ultimate Jerusalem Food Tour (41 min).
- The Jerusalem Night Spectacular, highlights (Tower of David Light Show) (2 min).
- Official highlight video of The Jerusalem Night Spectacular (Tower of David Light Show) (1.5 min).
- Four Mountains in the vicinity of Jerusalem: The Mount of Olives; The Temple Mount; Mount Zion; and Mount Herzl (30 min each).
- Video Tour of the Pool of Siloam and Hezekiah’s Tunnel in Jerusalem (7 min).
- Two Short films about Masada and Jerusalem. Scroll down a bit to see the videos (The Masada film features spectacular drone footage) (3 min).
- Floating in the Dead Sea, Masada Sunrise, and the West Bank (14 min).
- Petra – Exploring the Amazing Rock City of Jordan (18 min).
- Petra, Jordan: Civilizations (from the BBC) (4 min).
- Best Views of Petra (10 min).
- Petra: Lost City of Stone (Nova, PBS). Wonderful documentary. A must-see (54 min).
- Petra: “Time Scanners” (from Nat Geo). A fascinating look at how the monuments were built by using sophisticated laser scanning equipment) (52 min).
- Fun things to do in Eilat (9 min).
- Eilat: Beautiful drone footage (4 min).
- Dolphin Reef Beach in Eilat (very close to our hotel) (4 min).
Images on this page: Top, right: Via Dolorosa; Right, center: Alleyway in the Jewish Quarter; Masada; Bottom, right: Jerusalem Night Spectacular